今日單字: Infant [n.] = 嬰兒、幼兒
1. Symptoms that counted as abuse included shaken infant syndrome, fractures, traumatic brain injuries, abdominal injuries, burns, and open wounds..
2. The study found that for every 100,000 children, 6 were seriously abused. For children under one, the likelihood increased by more than 8 times.
3. This is higher than the rate of infants impacted by Sudden Infant Death syndrome - 50 infant deaths for every 100,000.
4. The study did not account for children who were never hospitalized or died before getting treatment.
5. The study estimated that only 1.5% of all abused children actually go to the hospital for treatment.
Should abusive parents be given a second chance ?
It's a real dilemma.If the parents are sent to jail, where should the child go ?Other relatives may not be willing to take in the child.
Foster care is not a sure bet either.
But, if the child stays with the parents....well, who knows when it will happen again.
What do you think ??